Prompt treatment of blood poisoning is essential because the infection can quickly spread to tissues or your heart valves. Once you’re diagnosed with blood poisoning, you’ll likely receive treatment as an inpatient at a hospital. If you’re showing symptoms of shock, you’ll be admitted to the intensive care unit. Signs of shock include: paleness; rapid, weak pulse; rapid, shallow breathing; dizziness or unconsciousness and low blood pressure. You may also receive oxygen and fluids intravenously to help maintain a healthy blood pressure and get rid of the infection. Blood clots are another concern in immobilized patients. Sepsis is usually treated with hydration, often through an intravenous line, as well as antibiotics that target the organism causing the infection. Sometimes medications may need to be used to temporarily support low blood pressure. These medications are called vasopressors. If sepsis is severe enough to cause multi-organ dysfunction, that patient may need to be mechanically ventilated, or they may even need dialysis temporarily if their kidneys have failed.